Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jason's Deli

I know I mentioned earlier in my first blog and my profile that I really enjoy mom & pop restaurants, but I checked out Jason's deli in Indianapolis this past week. I really enjoy a good sandwich! I have to say, this place can put together a hell of a sandwich! People who don't get excited for sandwiches should even check this place out.

What did I have? I went with a good friend of mine, and we both ordered a different sandwich and shared half of our sandwich with each other. I ordered the Big Joe, and my friend ordered the Chicago Club. Bold Statement ahead, the Big Joe was the best sandwich I have ever had in my life. The complex flavor complimented each other so well.

So what was on the Big Joe? 
Toasted herb focaccia with turkey breast, asiago, roasted tomatoes, basil-pesto with pine nuts, mayo.

Many times when I have focaccia bread, I find it somewhat stale and I am disappointed with it. Not this time, you could tell the bread was baked fresh everyday, and smelled wonderful. The turkey breast was extremely tender and a slight smokey flavor. I really do think that the roasted tomatoes made the sandwich! The process of roasting tomatoes concentrates the rich tomato flavor in to each piece of tomato. Now couple this with a basil pesto and mayo and you have a flavor explosion in your mouth. Overall, I believe that there was a trifecta of flavor that made this sandwich so good. Combine roasted tomato, with basil pesto, and the herb focaccia bread and the flavors just melt in your mouth!

I ate this sandwich half first, then proceeded to the Chicago Club. I am not going to lie to you, after the second bite I was really thinking about taking my other sandwich half back. Now I am not knocking the Chicago Club, however it wasn't on the same level of the Big Joe! I would have never thought twice about how good the Chicago Club was if I hadn't had the Big Joe first. The Big Joe was just on another level!

What was on the Chicago Club?

Herb focaccia with smoked turkey breast, bacon, provolone, smoked red pepper-cilantro aioli, organic spinach, roma tomatoes.

So here again the focaccia bread was right on point! It was fresh and just made my mouth water. The same turkey breast was on this sandwich and was great! Now to the high notes. Bacon makes everything better! You could put bacon on anything and I truly believe it will taste better! Provolone cheese was a great addition to this sandwich, but maybe a sharper flavor would have brought the sandwich up a notch. There was something on this sandwich that I hadn't ever experienced before. They made a smoked red pepper-cilantro aioli. Yeah thats right, red pepper and cilantro. What a great combination of flavors and to make aioli out of it, GENIUS! The spinach was a good call, it gave you some greens, I might try to throw some sprouts on it if I were to get it again.

This next part is hard for me to admit and please don't judge me! Jason's deli has a free ice cream bar, and I did not partake! I was so full from the sandwiches that I couldn't bring myself to eat ice cream and make myself miserable. Who has a free ice cream bar?!?!?

Overall if I were to rate this restaurant on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 9.5-10. The service was nice, food was amazing, and the place was clean. This is a chain so if you are headed somewhere you may want to see if there is one on your route. I know when I go to visit my brother in Saint Louis I will be making a stop at Jason's in Indy from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment