Thursday, September 1, 2011

What I know about meat!

If you have read any of my previous blogs, you know that I am a huge carnivore and I appreciate a good cut of meat on my plate for dinner. There is something more important than choosing that cut of meat out of the butcher's case, and that's how you cook it!

I grew up eating all of my red meat well done, and hated to see any pink, let alone red in my steak or hamburger. My how times have changed! Now if I cook a steak or burger to well done for myself, I actually get upset with myself!

When I started buying steaks in my early twenties, I always bought New York Strips because of how lean they were. I still enjoy a strip every now and then, however if I have my choice, I will pick a rib eye over a strip or filet mignon! Why you ask? Simply because in my opinion, rib eyes are easier to cook, and their flavor is much better due to the fat marbling. Filet Mignon is really good, and I will never be able to take that away from them, BUT they are extremely expensive. Porterhouses are really good as well but I don't ever need that much steak! Don't get me wrong, I would eat it, I just don't want to feel that guilty. Porterhouses are good because they are marbled as well, and the bone also adds flavor to the meat too. At the end of the day, I am going to go for the ribeye!

This blog could get really long if I go in to a lot of detail about different cuts so I will try and keep it simple and short. There are different characteristics with every different cut of meat. For instance, a rib eye could be cooked to well done, but if it is seared well at the beginning of cooking it will probably remain fairly tender.

So here are some ground rules for a great simple grilled steak! Let the meat come to just below room temperature before cooking. I also usually season my steak at this point with whatever you choose. I sear my steaks on each side, this keeps in those delicious juices that keep the cut tender. I sear one side, flip and sear the other side, about that time I turn the heat down on the grill. About the time the steak is ready to flip back over to the original side, the grill has cooled a little and turn the steak 90 degrees to make those sear marks attractive, then I flip one more time to get the same appearance on the other side.

How do you know when the steak is done? Over time you will know by feeling the tenderness of the meat with your tongs. The more tender, the more rare. This method would apply for filet, strips, rib eyes, porterhouses.

One of my favorite meals to make is beef fajitas. I can't stand that pre-made/pre-mixed crap in the freezer section or the meat case. So here is a better alternative! Grab a skirt steak from your butcher 1.5 -2 lbs. will be enough for four people. I season my skirt steak with 2 tbsp Penzey's Salsa Seasoning, 2 tbsp sea salt, 2 tbsp EVOO and the juice from one lime. Season the steak with salt and the seasoning toss it in a zip-loc bag, add the EVOO and the lime juice and let it marinate for at least a couple of hours, the longer the better! The more the lime juice and salt sit on the beef it will help break it down and make it more tender. Again searing the juices in the steak are important when you toss this baby on the grill! Sear one side after it has released from the grilling surface flip it over and do that side. Depending on your desired doneness, pull it off the grill, if you want it more well done flip two more times. Now here comes the most important piece of advice I can give you about a skirt steak or any cut of meat for that matter! Let it rest! I am serious, everyone wants to cut in to the steak and see there finished product, that is the worst thing you can do! All the juices leave the meat and you lose flavor and tenderness! 5-10 minutes will be sufficient, the bigger the cut of meat the longer you should wait.

Cutting a skirt steak is important also! ALWAYS cut the meat on the bias! If you aren't sure what this means, find the grain and cut against the grain. You may not be able to manage a full 90 degree difference that is okay, also I tilt my knife edge as well so I am also cutting at an angle from the vertical orientation as well. This same technique can be applied for a flank steak as well!

I really want to touch on pork at this moment, but this is getting really long and I will address that in a separate blog devoted to pork, I have to give it the respect it deserves!

No comments:

Post a Comment